If you are on holiday in the Algarve or anywhere else in Portugal, be safe in the Sun. Don’t fool yourself – the sun does burn.
Here are some Sun Safety Tips to help you take advantage of Algarve’s beautiful sunshine and be safe as well:
- Drink lots of liquids
- Eat refreshing meals rich in water;
- Use light cloths resistant to the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays;
- The sun is as strong on the beach as by the pool or in the country. In high altitudes it is equally strong so protection should be used in all circumstances. Use sunscreen that should have a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 and that says “broad-spectrum” on the label, which means it protects against the sun’s UVA and UVB rays.
- Use day-to-day protection on the more exposed zones of your body when you are out in the sun;
- Wear wide-brimmed hats;
- Choose cosmetics and contact lenses that offer UV protection. You still need to use sunscreen and wear sunglasses with broad-spectrum sun protection.
- If you are on the beach on a cloudy day, you still need to use sunscreen - although the sun is hidden, it still burns.
Enjoy the sun but protect yourself.